The Motor Vessel Nomad is SOLD!

I have moved on to the next phase of my life. Ro and I decided to purchase a home in Windmill Village near Punta Gorda Florida, and we closed April 21st. Very nice place and Ro is doing all she can to make it ours. New floors, new counter tops, new shed, with man cave for me. I’ll have pictures soon.

One of the best things that came with the house is a FREE marina, free but with strings. The biggest string is that the boat can not be more than 26 feet. Well, that kills the Nomad. So I was able to sell it within a month of closing on the house. Actually I had the offer on the day we closed. I will admit to taking a beating on the price, but with the cost of keeping the Nomad afloat, and the marina fees, I figure I saved at least the amount I gave away ( I didn’t need a broker so I saved there also.)

My next trick is to purchase a boat to keep in the marina here.
The parameters are:

  1. 26′ long
  2. Must be able to live aboard for extended periods.
  3. Trailerable (need to evacuate for hurricanes.)
  4. must fit in our carport if needs be. (<13′ high on the trailer)

I am thinking along the lines of a “Nimble Nomad” (25′ 4″) or a MacGregor 26 (2000 or newer). Pictures of bothe to come.

New trip, Returned from VA and are on our way to West Coast of Florida.

We had an uneventful trip up the Chesapeake to Hays, Va. The weather turned bad and that was as far as we got. We returned to Myrtle Beach for the rest of the summer.

On Oct. 1st we started south with the plan to get to Vero Beach before the end of Oct and head for the west coast before December 1st.

After an uneventful trip we landed for a week in St. Mary’s, Ga. We went to visit Ro’s friend from school, Gerry. Anchored in North River because of Hurricane Irma (Long since gone, but she left 32 boats and a marina sunk in the St. Mary’s harbor.) The north river is home to a commercial boat repair facility and because of that the water is filthy, and that came up on the boat.

We left there and are now at anchor (on a mooring ball) in Vero Beach. I learned how to grab a ball in St. Augustine in high wins and strong current. When we got to the nice still waters of the Vero Beach mooring field it was a snap. We will be here for a month and I will use that time to find out all I can about the Okeechobee crossing. It’s a long way from the Stewart anchorage to the Ft. Myers side. I need to spend at least one night in the crossing.

Our trip so far…

Since I started north on June 11th a few things have happened.

On the second day out, near Hampsted,NC I finally gave in to all the pressure and had the boat pulled out to see what was causing a 3-5 degree list. We couldn’t find ay water, leak or component busted free to cause such a list. Having had the boat pulled at a special rate that included a one month storage charge, We went home to wait it out.

Couldn’t do it, on the 26th we had the boat returned to the briny and took off, still listing. Spent the first night in Mile Hammock, still a beautiful spot. Next two nights in Oriental, had a problem with my Raymarine C120 MFD. Seacoast Marine sorted it out and the price was more than fair. He’s the only shop around that still does repairs in house.

Then it was on past Belhaven into the Alligator River with a 3 ft following sea and 25knt winds from the south, pure terror. The tender at the Alligator River Swing Bridge refused to answer my call, but opened the bridge. I had to call the Coast Guard to find out if the bridge was even open.

Spent the night at anchor tucked in nice and tight in East Lake at the north end of the Alligator River. Next day was beautiful and the wind was down for our crossing of the Albamarle Sound to Coinjock.

Now we are in Salt Ponds Marina, Hampton VA. Our first long stop on the trip. Here to visit my sister, Angela. A one week stay in a fairly good marina. No restaurant, no bar, but it has a pool.

Yesterday I finally found out what was causing the list, and fixed it. There was an aux fresh water tank installed for when the previous owner went to the Bahamas. 200 gal of water is about 1400 lbs. Drained the tank and the boat was list free.

On Monday we start up the Chesapeake to Annapolis and my other sister, Tina.

All Doctors are done. We move aboard Sunday!

Sunday (June 11,2017) Ro and I are moving aboard Nomad for our trip north! This has been a long time coming and it couldn’t happen fast enough. I like Myrtle Beach, but I need to get on the water.

This week I called out a mechanic to do a complete mechanical check up on Nomad. He changed the oil in all three motors, all the filters, checked the raw water screens and fixed a couple of other things. I now am solid with the fact that the boat is in very good shape. I couldn’t do this stuff because of my “new” knee. Climbing over the engines and kneeling on the diamond plate floor would not only be painful, but I could damage my knee.

We are spending the time today and tomorrow stocking up on provisions, clothes, and other junk you need to live aboard for the next 6 months.

I will try to keep this up to date. Oh, yes, be sure to check out Ro’s blog (Click here), she has her own views on this trip.

I am out of action for a while.

In case you’re wondering why I haven’t moved the boat in such a long time, it’s because of medical reasons. First, Ro had a hip replaced in the beginning of March. Then I had a knee replaced on April 18th. Not to worry, I am healing very well, I am getting around without a care or walker and the pain is low. You can’t tell Ro was operated on at all (except for the scar.)

I was on the boat for the first time since I went in the hospital yesterday. I went to put the repaired tender cover on-board. I can’t install it on the boat till my leg heals a bit more since I have to crawl to get up on the roof.

Everything does look good for a mid-June departure for Cape Cod.

Sad Day

My Brother

It’s the week before Christmas and everything should be good, but it isn’t. Last week my brother, Ron, had what they thought was a heart attack. It put him in ICU and in an induced coma for three days. He came out of it weak but better. After two days he signed himself out of the hospital and went home. Thursday I was able to call him and we talked for a while. That night he died. Nothing else to say.

5 Years ago and Today

Posted on November 16, 2011 at
Herrington Harbor North (38°46’N – 76°33’W)

I have been to the boat! And it looks as good in person as it did in the pictures.
In the boat
The house closed and I expect the cash to be in the account tomorrow. I am taking tomorrow to complete all the banking stuff I need to do to get the money here. I will be back on the boat on Friday. The survey is still set for Tuesday and everything should be set for me to takeoff right after Thanksgiving, probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

Now it is Thanksgiving day, November 24th, 2016 and I am getting ready to move aboard my new home. Ro and I will be leaving Saturday morning for Hilton Head where the boat is docked. The survey has been completed, the engineer has corrected everything on the hit list. I have a corporation (The Roaming Nomad LLC) in the works. The final payment to the owners has been made and I have a bill of sale. The boat will be documented in Delaware under the corporation name. I have insurance (including TowBoatUS) and I am all set to go.

10 Days later and I’m still here!

The seller is clearing up the last of the hit list Items and I’m going down for an inspection tomorrow. Things are moving, but they are slow. We are going to bring the boat up here to Osprey for the winter. In April I plan to start heading north with planned stops in Hampton, Annapolis, Barnegat Bay, Falmouth, and possibly Albany. Get to see the part of the family I haven’t seen in a while. Might make a stop in Patchogue, too.

The Survey

OK, I had the survey done. Not too much to get done, but some of it can be expensive. The controls from the fly bridge were “sticky”, in other words they locked up. The owners captain actually rammed the dock because he couldn’t get them into reverse. One engine was hard to start, or rather hard to keep going for a while (looked like fuel starvation) this “corrected itself” and the engine ran till we go to the marina for haul out. But the engine was again hard to start when we started back. The Fuel gauges either don’t work or there was no fuel in the tanks. Other small stuff, but the agent said he would fix everything.

There was one other thing that was serious, A pinhole leak in a metal pipe that connects two raw water hoses. If the pipe is not connected to the boat ground this could just be an isolated failure, if it is connected then there could be other damage to the heat exchanger. This could have been caused by not replacing the zinc in the heat exchanger.
Hole in pipe

This is what the leak looks like in action:
Hole in pipe

Well, now to see how well the agent carries through and gets the hit list fixed. He said two weeks, but I can see thanksgiving with me still in Myrtle Beach.